Friday, January 16, 2015

Butternut Squash Soup

So far it has been a busy new year of cooking, though not much has made it onto the blog yet (a problem that is about to be resolved!). Most recently seen/tasted in my kitchen:

Bone Broth
Chick Pea and Kale Soup
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Butternut Squash Soup
Tomato Soup
Parmesan Zucchini Bites
Lemon Tart
Goat Cheese Lemon Tart
Chocolate Mocha Tart
Apple Tart
Sourdough Pancakes

And all original recipes! Okay, so the tomato soup and apple tart both need a little work, but the rest are wonderful! (Hey, we can’t all be perfect on the first try) I’d say it’s a pretty good way to start off the new year.

Every Christmas I treat myself to a new kitchen gadget or two. This year, it was a crock pot and a mandolin slicer. Now someone tell me – why did it take me this long to get a crock pot?! Making soups is so easy now. There is no splatter, and I can cook soups overnight or even leave my apartment without fear that my kitchen will burn down.

So I happily waltzed out of Bed Bath and Beyond with the crock pot that my mother recommended. What did I find when I got home? Yes, I loved all of the settings and the digital timer, but it was gigantic! Much bigger than I anticipated. (Yes, I should have probably done a little more research). It’s basically the size of a cauldron. 6.5 quarts. I’m only one person, with one boyfriend and a cat. How much can we eat? I guess this means we need to have a lot of dinner parties….

This recipe can be made in a crock pot or on the stove, is very allergy friendly, and is ridiculously easy. But don’t tell your friends that. Tell them you labored over a hot stove for hours just for them and ask them to please refill your glass of wine. :)

Butternut Squash Soup



1 medium butternut squash, cubbed
5 cups broth
1/2 medium onion, sliced
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)
Dash of salt and pepper

1.       Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high heat for 2 hours, until squash is soft. If you are making this on the stovetop, cover the mixture and bring it to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the squash is soft.
2.       Let cool completely
3.       Blend all ingredients together in a blender (you don’t want to place very hot ingredients in a blender, as recommended by Blendtec and several other brands)
4.       You can now reheat on the stove top or freezer for later use.
5.       Garnish with black pepper

2 comments:

  1. I've been making a curried butternut squash soup this winter that we've really been enjoying. One thing I find a little different about it is that it has a green bell pepper in it, which gives a nice flavor with the curry. I'm usually not a big fan of green bell peppers, but it works well in that recipe.

    I had to laugh about your crockpot - I have one that big too, but I usually use my 4 qt one to feed the seven of us! You could be looking at a lot of leftovers... :-)

    And do you have an immersion blender? I use mine whenever I make a creamy type soup and it is so much easier than transferring everything to the blender. It has been an extremely useful kitchen tool for me. I also use it to make salad dressings.

    I'm curious about your chickpea and kale soup, that sounds like something I'd really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I need to start experimenting with curry more.

    I'm STILL laughing about my crock pot. Although, I spend the past 24 hours making a great big batch of bone broth, and it seemed a good size for that. Anything else just looks like small puddles in a giant bowl.

    I don't have an immersion blender. I thought about getting one, but realistically I really wouldn't use it that much. So I stick with my blender. And the more I use my blender the better I feel about investing in the fancy/expensive brand :)

    I haven't decided when I'm going to post the chickpea/kale soup recipe, but I'll definitely get it to you! :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete