Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Morning Ebelskivers

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and warm wishes for whatever you may celebrate! I hope you are having a joyous holiday season!

I just returned to NYC from a wonderful trip to California to spend Christmas with Kristopher and his family. It is a place I love visiting. His parents, aunt, and uncle are incredibly sweet and always make me feel at home and part of the family. And I knew exactly what I wanted to bring them as a gift – home cooked food of course!

I carefully stuffed my carry on bag with seven or eight dozen cookies (gingerbread men, butter cookies, almond-dried cherry cookies), a loaf of homemade almond bread, and a batch of fluffy coconut banana muffins. But it still didn’t feel like enough to say thank you for their kindness and everything they do for me. Perhaps I could bake them a year’s worth of cookies? Or ship them fresh waffles every Saturday morning? The least I could do was offer to take over their big beautiful kitchen and whip them up a few delicious meals.

This brought about new challenges, mostly cooking in a kitchen that is not dedicated GF. Luckily, Kristopher’s mother, Dianne, is the nicest host in the world and bought me a special set of cookware that is always set aside until I visit. The other challenge deals once again with food intolerances – this time garlic and onion. This was tricky for me because I love fusing meats and naturally gluten free dishes with the flavors from these ingredients – the more the better! But of course my goal is always to accommodate everyone, so I set to work on meals that were gluten free, onion/garlic-free, and picky-eater friendly.

A sampling of my wonderful week and the food we made….


Christmas Morning Ebelskivers

Almond Bread French Toast
(http://tastymeditation.blogspot.com/2014/10/almond-french-toast.html)

Rosemary & Sage Risotto and Kale Salad with a Honey-Lemon Dressing

Fondue (having a glass of wine in the other hand is very important)

Rosemary Chicken with Broccoli and Bell Peppers

Pretzel-Jello!

"Who ate the last piece of pretzel-jello?....not me....."



"Already Been Chewed" Gingerbread Men
(http://tastymeditation.blogspot.com/2014/12/already-been-chewed-gingerbread-men.html)
Butter Cookies

Almond-Dried Cherry Cookies
(http://tastymeditation.blogspot.com/2014/12/almond-dried-cherry-cookies.html)

Gift from Dianne and Bob! It looks like I'll be making scones soon!

Another gift from Dianne and Bob. Can you believe how sweet they are?!

Kristopher and I on Christmas Eve

Needless to say, we ate like kings. Then came Christmas morning, and it was time for the Anderson family traditional ebelskiver breakfast. Dianne had gotten me a dedicated GF ebelskiver pan the year before, so I was ready to go with a new variation based on their family recipe.

For this recipe, I used Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking and Pancake Mix. I found it very helpful to get a pre-made flour blend this time (with all of the cookies in my purse, I had no room to lug potato starch, xanthan gum, sorghum flour and all the rest with me to California). I was very pleased with Pamela’s, but if you choose to use a different brand make sure you get a mix that has xanthan gum and baking soda/powder already in it. This is very different than an all purpose flour, which only contains flours such as rice, tapioca, almond, ect.

Jessica’s Gluten Free Ebelskivers



1 cup Pamela’s baking mix
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk (can use cow/almond/soy/rice)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 egg, room temperature
1 ½ tsp almond extract
1 apple (I prefer honey crisp)
Extra coconut oil for pan

1.      If the coconut oil is in a solid form, heat it slightly so that it is easy to combine/mix with the other ingredients. Combine flour, milk, oil, egg, and almond extract in a bowl and mix until just combined.
2.      Dice one apple and set aside.
3.      Place a few extra tablespoons of coconut oil (make sure it is in liquid form) in a bowl. Dip a paper towel into the oil and spread on each depression of the ebelskiver pan, dipping the towel back into the oil as needed.
4.      Heat pan on medium/low heat. After a few minutes, splash water on it with your fingers. If the water sizzles, the pan is ready.
5.      Carefully wipe away the first layer of coconut oil from the pan with a clean paper towel.
6.      Dab a fresh layer of coconut oil onto the pan.
7.      Fill each depression halfway with batter. Add a few pieces of diced apples to the center of each. Add a very small bit of batter on top of the apple. The depressions should be about 3/4 of the way filled
8.      After a few minutes use a wooden skewer in each hand to gently lift up one end of an ebelskiver. If it has browned, it is time to flip them. Maneuver the skewers so that you are able to flip each ebelskiver completely onto the opposite side (see picture)
9.      Once the second side has browned, remove one ebelskiver and tear it in half to see if it is cooked all the way through. If so, remove from pan. Serve warm with syrup, butter, or powdered sugar

Makes 14 ebelskivers

Thank you, Dianne, for inspiring this recipe and teaching me proper ebelskiver flipping technique – I’m flipping like a champ!


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment