Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Banana Coconut Breakfast Cookies

Surely the best way to kick off the end of summer is one last relaxing outing. One of my favorite things about visiting my aunt’s beautiful Hamptons house is her great big kitchen, which is about six times the size of my little studio’s. In the mornings, I brew a cup or two of my favorite white tea, sit down with my journal, and leisurely make myself breakfast sometime before noon, saving my cooking stamina for a more extravagant dinner.

On this trip, I decided to be a little more creative with my mornings, trying out a new recipe. This recipe was originally created by Shirley at www.GlutenFreeEasily.com, featured on www.MyGluten-FreeKitchen.com, and was tweaked slightly by myself. She suggested using a ripe banana and a combination of oat and almond flour. I chose a flour combination and used a little trick of my own to ripen up a yellow banana. I then made three variations:

1. Original (no add ins)
2. Dark chocolate
3. Cinnamon raisin

While I greatly enjoyed all three, my official taste-tester/boyfriend and I agreed that the cinnamon raisin was the best.

One of the many things about this recipe that I love is that it is basically a bowl of oatmeal but in cookie form – how much healthier can you ask a cookie to be?! They are perfect in the morning or as a tea time snack.

On we go!

Banana Coconut Breakfast Cookies



Ingredients:
1 banana
½ cup oat flour (60g)
¼ cup almond flour (28g)
1 cup packed shredded coconut (measure this in a measuring cup – do not weigh)

Add ins:
Cinnamon
Raisins
Small spoonful of chopped dark chocolate

1.      Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place your banana on it (I use insulated baking sheets and highly recommend them – perfect cookies every time!). Place in the oven and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. This is preheating the oven and ripening your banana at the same time. Your banana will be ready to use when it is black (do not be alarmed!). Take a sharp knife and make a slit down the entire banana. Scoop the inside out with a spoon. Discard the banana and parchment paper, and line the baking sheet with a fresh piece of parchment.
2.      In a large bowl, mix the flours, coconut and banana with a spoon. Divide dough into three bowls
3.      In bowl #1, add a few pieces of chopped dark chocolate (I’ll let you decide how much!)
4.      In bowl #2, add raisins and cinnamon (again, as much as you’d like)
5.      Bowl #3 will remain as is
6.      Each bowl will yield 4 mini cookies, about an inch long. Using your hands, form the cookies as such and place them on the parchment paper
7.      Bake for about 20 minutes, until the outer edges are browned and the bottoms of the cookies are mostly browned
8.      Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for an extra 5 minutes

Enjoy!



As an extra note, I had a lovely time at the Gluten Free Calendar’s Celiac awareness event on Saturday. One of my favorite featured guests was the Whipped Pastry Boutique located in Brooklyn (www.whippedpastryboutique.com). While munching on tasty pumpkin bread I spoke with the bakery’s owner, Michelle. It is clear that she cares very much about her food, which is always wonderful to see. Another highlight was a lecture given by Jaquy Yngvason of Tasty Freedom (www.tastyfreedom.com). She spoke on the topics of community, eating out at restaurants, traveling, and empowerment. Jaquy is an enormously optimistic and inspiring individual, and I highly recommend attending one of her lectures or watching her delightful cooking videos on youtube.




 (Catching up with Erin from the NYC Celiac Disease Meetup group)





Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. mmmm..i have been thinking about all things pumpkin lately AND craving cinnamon rolls…next on my TO-BAKE list! I just make pumpkin cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting yesterday..good thing i have guests staying at my house for a few days to eat it all up! Pickup Lines Google Gravity Tricks I love you quotes Good Night Quotes

    ReplyDelete